The 1950s

1951

The Thirtieth Anniverary of the foundation was celebrated on 23 October 1951. A lecture was delivered by the Revd WF Howard, formerly Principal of Handsworth College, who had recently come to retire in Cambridge where his elder son was senior classical master at The Leys School. The subject of the lecture was "New Testament Studies from 1901 to 1950."

1953

Frank Morgan, the House's first Senior Porter died of a sudden heart attack in the summer of 1953.

1955

At a farewell ceremony for Dr Flew on 26th May a portrait was unveiled, and again Frank Salisbury was the artist. The ceremony was held in the Lecture Room and many representing the University, Methodism, the Ecumenical Movement and Wesley House spoke in warm appreciation of Dr Flew's many-sided activity. The Vice-Chancellor, the Rt Hon Sir Henry Willink, Master of Magdalene College, was among those who spoke, and the Bishop of Ely, Dr Edward Wynn, gave a Blessing at the end.

The Revd WF Flemington became Principal, retaining the William Greenhalgh Chair of New Testament Language and Literature.

The Revd Philip S Watson, who for the previous four years had been Principal of Handsworth College, became Tutor until he departed in 1959 to become Professor of Theology at Garrett Theological Institute, Evanston, USA.

1959

The Revd Michael Skinner is appointed as Tutor, having served five and a half years as Assistant Tutor at Handsworth College.

Eyewitness

WF Flemington

Wesley House, Jesus Lane, Cambridge, CB5 8BJ

  • Facebook
  • Twitter

©2020 by Wesley House Cambridge