1923: Tenders and leavers
On June 6th 1923 tenders were invited for the building. That of Messrs Coulson & Son of Cambridge was accepted and the work was begun. From that time Trustees' meetings and House Committees were more frequent and many visitors were taken to "view the site".
In June 1923 five of the "pioneers" left Wesley House, having taken the Cambridge Theological Tripos. Mr Baker won the Carus Prize, the first of many brilliant successes which have been gained by Wesley House men in the University. To those who left then the College is greatly indebted for the tradition they created and many contacts they established with University life. They shared in the activities of the S.C.M. and the evangelistic groups which visited industrial centres.
The "Wesley Society" in those early years held their meetings by invitation in the rooms of Fellows, the Headmaster's House at the Leys School and Wesley Manse. Wesley House gladly took its place on the rota and held its meeting in the Common Room.